A good quote from President George Albert Smith: ..."The happiest people in this world are those who love their neighbors as themselves and manifest their appreciation of God's blessings by their conduct.
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Sam's Letter- July 11, 2012
Hey everyone! So we went on our roof to see the fireworks! There were shows all around but it was a little hard to see. But some people that were on other roofs had little fireworks and were lighting them and throwing them off the roof. And we heard someone saying that the police were coming. So we left and went back in our apartment. And then we just played games until we had to go to bed. We had to be in by 8 so we had a lot off free time it seemed like! So our washing machines in our apartment broke so we had to do it at a laundromat on Thursday and that really stunk! We had so many clothes in one dryer to save money that we had to run the dry cycle 3 times! Some of my G bottoms got melted and started to fall apart. But luckily I have a surplus! And yes I loved the package! That was so funny! When I picked it up I thought you sent me a picture. But then I heard sand rolling around and thought it was a huge tube of just sand! Didn't think you would take my comment about sending me sand literal! Haha, but I loved the roll of paper with everyone signing it! And the shirt is awesome! Haven't worn it yet, but everything from California is cool! Then we did some tracting and had English class at the end of the day. Which no one came too!! Friday I ironed my shirts for the first time in the mission! They were so wrinkled after we got home from doing laundry so I had to do it! We did some tracting and found nothing. Then when we were waiting for a bus a this lady comes up and starts talking with us, she was very happy to see us. And she just was baptized in June. So we get on the bus and were having a great conversation. Then she said to Elder Fairbourn and I that we were a real blessing in her life at that moment because I guess she has a smoking problem and was thinking about going to the store and buying some cigarettes to smoke. But once I saw you guys that crave left and I feel so happy! So Satan will attack the new converts, but the Lord will protect. Also I had no idea I would be the cause of helping someone not smoke or lose the crave of an addiction for that moment. I was just waiting for a bus! The Lord works in natural ways, which to me makes it mysterious how well it works! Then Elder Fairbourn and I got doughnuts at Dunkin Doughnuts. They are EVERYWHERE. So on Saturday we went to a lady whom the Sister missionaries taught before they left and wanted to get to know her and continue to teach her. So we got there and she let us in and basically dropped us. I couldn't understand her very well and she I guess likes her coffee and doesn't want to change. It was sad because this lady honestly looks like a zombie. I don't want to be mean, but you can tell that she isn't happy and has problems. So we tried to show her love but she very kindly said she didn't want to meet with us anymore. Did some more tracting! So Sunday we had church and then we went and looked up some former investigators. As we were waiting for the train this man came up to me and asked the typical question, "Are you Mormons" and I said yes. Then he asked another typical question, "What makes you different from other churches." Then I started to explain, then he stopped me and said I just want to hear I'm not going to convert. So I said okay and said that the church of Jesus Christ was restored. And started with Joseph Smith and the Restoration. And all through this you could tell that he was thinking about what we were saying. He was pondering and was I think believing it. He told us that we were alright and cool (yessss) and then he left. I'm sure a seed was planted! But none of the look ups were home. Then we went to a really cool investigators house of another companionship for dinner and then came home! Monday we had interviews with our new mission president. That took about 5 hours to finish and I was the last one! But he has a great fun loving spirit. I really like him and I know he will be a great mission president. Tuesday we had an appointment and taught this lady Alison whom we found and reviewed the first lesson with her. She didn't remember any of it. But I hope she will progress! Then we did some tracting and talked to this drunk guy. And thankfully our washing machines are working today! So for Pday today we're just hanging out. And we are going to 7/11 for free slurpees because today is 7/11. And after that I have no idea! Probably sleep! Well I love you all and hope all is well! Your all in my prayers!!