"Families are as diverse as individuals. The activities they do together vary, but one thing is true for all of them: "In family relationships love is really spelled t-i-m-e, time." Whether family members get together for scheduled outings, sharing interests, or serving others, these gatherings strengthen relationships that can be eternal."
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Monday, March 31, 2008

My Grandpa Died Today


Well, today my Grandpa passed away.  My Grandpa Magnusson (my mom's dad).  I have so many memories of him.  He was always fixing things-- even  when we went on vacation to Utah he was always fixing things.  Even in Hawaii he was looking for things to fix.  He had 7 children-- 6 living and 1 dead (Carl).  I can't help but think how happy he must be at seeing Carl.  That is enough to put a smile on my face through my tears.  My mom called this morning about 7:50am and when I saw her name on my caller ID I knew exactly what she was calling about and I was in tears.  I got Chase off to school- which I kind of felt guilty all day about because I did not get a chance to talk to him about how it made him feel.  He told me he got sad a couple of times at school about it and told some of his friends.  I take comfort in knowing that he is no longer in pain and no longer confined to a body that did not do what he wanted it to do.  I really love my Grandpa and he will be missed.  I am so grateful that I had the chance to be with him last Sunday (Easter).  My Grandma and Grandpa came to my parents house for dinner.  My family was the only one there.  So, my kids even sat at the dinner table and ate-- (this never happens when everyone is there because they are off playing with their cousins).  It was great for them to have this experience with their grandparents and great grandparents.  I wish I had known then that in one weeks time he would be gone.  I think I would have hugged him just a little longer and a little tighter. 
When Lauren was 3 weeks old (Nov. 20th)  we went to visit Grandpa and Grandma Mag.  When I walked in Grandma Mag started to tell me that Grandpa had not gotten up yet.  Well, my mom happened to be there that day also.  When we went and looked in on my Grandpa he looked terrible.  It was so sad to see.  He couldn't open his eyes-- they were so puffy, his face was so puffy.  He was really out of it.  Come to find out the sleeping pills had wiped him out.  But, at the time we had no idea what was wrong.  I thought he was dying.  He has been sick for quite a while and I thought he was just headed towards death door.  I was still in my "I just had a baby and everything makes me cry mode" so, of course I was a basketcase and could not stop crying.  I went and layed my new baby Lauren next to my Grandpa.  It was the sweetest thing I have ever seen.  He opened his eyes and kept rubbing her arm and leg and she was so content next to him.  He even spoke clearly her name.  This was huge... he was so lethargic and out of it but, there were some moments of clarity and recognition.  I felt the spirit so strongly that day.  I was so upset that I did not have my camera to capture that moment.  But, I do know that I will never forget it.  I don't think the others in the room will either (my mom, Grandma and Aunt Pennie).  I know that my Grandpa is in a better place and enjoying the wonderful reunions that are taking place but, it is sad to know that it will be quite awhile before I see him again.  He was a great man and had a great life.  There are many that will miss him and there are many that will be looking forward to seeing him again someday.
I love you Grandpa-- I am so glad to be your Granddaughter.

I love you
Stacey
My Grandpa-
black licorace
gumdrops
salt water
swimming
camping
Cabin
The drive to 7 Sacred Pools (my life flashed before my eyes)-- Sheri knows what I am talking about
Cracking nuts
figs
tree house
swings
spinning ladder
rocking chair
newspaper hats
fishing